2am ramblings about Canada and stuff...

It's odd how different two english speaking countries can be culturally. This summer I went to Canada (specifically British Columbia) and was taken aback by how different the lifestyle and culture was despite the same mother tongue. 

Vancouver is an incredible city. Some call it the city of glass because of its glossy skyscrapers that reflect the often blue skies overhead. 

It's urban architecture is juxtaposed beautifully by the majestic mountains that surround the downtown area.

And I suppose, given its idyllic postcard-perfect appearance, it should have been no surprise to me that the Canadian culture is, well, altogether more 'friendly' than British culture.

Whilst us Brits boast of medieval castles and Roman baths, (and don't get me wrong, there's a lot to be said about British history), you only have to endure one morning commute across London to understand what I'm alluding to when I say that British people (generally) are such stiffs - (excuse the divergent reference).

I wonder whether our cultural politeness that manifests itself in orderly queues and minding everyone else's business can often be misconstrued, if not, sometimes used as an excuse to avoid talking to one another. I fear that this cultural individual isolation creates social constraints which makes talking to strangers, helping each other out and enjoying experiences together rather rare experiences.

This is one of the reasons why I loved Canada so much. Canadians seem to be born helpers. You only have to look at a map with bewilderment for a local to pipe up and ask you where you need to go before giving you directions as to how to reach your destination. My experience of public transport contrasted so drastically to public transport in Britain that I dread the next time I have to get on a bus over here. It would appear that it's in a Canadian bus drivers very job description to compliment the passenger as they board the bus. Even by addressing the bus of passengers as a group over the tannoy seems to bring everybody together in a way that is so rare in this country.

I wonder if that's why events such as the T-Mobile flashmob adverts were so successful in Britain and all went viral almost immediately. British people are deprived of a sense of community in everyday life. And when something occurs to bring people together like that, it's wonderful feel good effect is amplified because it's usually so scarce. 

I'm sure most of you have seen the recent video circulating Facebook that is entitled 'Look Down'. It's a classic thought provoking video that highlights the dangers of us all getting 'glued' to our iPhones and computers and forgetting to actually experience every day through our own eyes. But I think this video has a narrow view in that it assumes our failures to embrace the now are caused solely by technology. My holiday in Canada showed to me that there are so many more obstacles that prevent us from living in the moment. I feel like in Britain especially it's the fear that smiling or talking to strangers would only earn us the label of 'weirdo' when really it could open so many doors of opportunity. 

When we spent time on Vancouver Island, I was struck by the extent to which residents there were in touch with their surroundings and the outdoors. Given, if you're surrounded by shores brimming with orca and humpback whales, Coastal islands that are calling out for sea kayaking adventures and mountains that not only prevent much rainfall but provide an awe inspiring skyline, it's exceedingly difficult to not be in touch with and enjoy the outdoors. But there is a real appreciation for their environment and a conscious effort to preserve it. Their lifestyle just feels as though all people in all walks of life are existing alongside one another in harmony with their surroundings. 



One evening after dinner in Stanley Park in downtown Vancouver, my family and I walked down to one of the beaches there where a Drum Circle was occurring. The organic rhythms being played by many different people on different drums seemed to echo the harmony with which the Canadian people seem to live with others and their surroundings. People of many nationalities were all gathered together dancing to the drums, and as the sun set, people began to turn towards the mountains where the sun was setting. Now I don't know if you've ever properly watched the sun set, but if you have, you'll know the sun like actually visibly moves. Quickly. And as the golden glow retreated behind the safety of the horizon, everybody on the beach clapped and cheered. It was a pretty cool moment. In the midst of an urban city, where industry and technology is thriving, a community had come together proving that there really is no excuse not to make the most of community (with strangers) at every opportunity. 





See, can you imagine a group of people gathering in central London and dancing together? Strangers chatting animatedly, void of awkwardness or social constraints? I suppose it may have happened... But I think it unlikely.

It'd be cool if we were all more like Canadians. I know that's a lame thing to say but I just think more smiles, compassion and friendliness would do Britain some good instead of this whole 'head-down don't-speak sit-tight' attitude I see so often in our culture.


Sorry about this ramble of a blog post, it is currently 2am and I'm pretty sure it was meant to be about something completely different when I started writing. Oh well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baaer Meinhof and Baby Killers...

'Students' VS 'Residents' - Bath is full to the brim

I'm running for SU President