Lent: Week 3 Review!

Lent week 3 has potentially been less successful than previous weeks. Nevertheless, here are the acts i've completed this week...

Call your grandma, or your grandson, or your teenage cousin. Make a point of reconnecting with someone of a different generation today

I did manage to do this act this week, albeit perhaps for different reasons than merely reconnecting. I emailed my entire extended family (... well those who are technologically advanced....) about potential sponsorship for hitchhiking to Paris in April. But I also managed to email my Grandma! I told her about me singing in a concert at the weekend (something she was delighted to hear) and told her I wanted to come and stay with her in May for a couple of nights. She replied pretty pronto (yay for technologically able o.a.ps) telling me that she just read my email on her iPad, sitting on a balcony in Madeira drinking wine and sent me this picture to prove it... alright for some I suppose...



Think of a particular person to encourage. You could then share your favourite verse or encouragement on a social network.

My good friend Alexa chose to do a 175ft bungee jump for charity this week. Needless to say this required a fair amount of support and encouragement. A group of us walked with her to the intimidating metal crane situated in east car park that she would be jumping off, and watched as she flung herself off the platform into what ended up being fairly breezy conditions. The video I created portrays the situation rather hilariously....



Can't switch off for a whole day? OK, try three hours. No Facebook, no WhatsApp, no phone calls (unless you're arranging to meet up in person). Be present, fully, for someone else.

So I can't decide if this act succeeded or failed. I went the whole of sunday morning with my phone on airplane mode (still needed to take a picture of my brunch didn't I...) but after brunch proceeded to regularly check my snapchat and facebook... so I guess I sort of did it. It was nice whilst it lasted.

Write a simple letter to a prisoner or a family in a refuge. Make it encouraging, positive and genuine.

Just spent a little while looking into this possibility. I've always enjoyed writing letters, I find it therapeutic and relaxing. The thought of being able to reach out to an outcast of society through the medium of letter writing has always been something I've wanted to do. My only issue is that considering uni life has very little in the way of constant routine, I worry I would not be able to commit regular time each week to write to a prisoner. I realise this is a fairly selfish reason, but I hope to maybe be able to do this in the future when I know I can fully dedicate myself to the letter writing. The last thing a prisoner needs is an inconsistent pen pal...

Till next week!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baaer Meinhof and Baby Killers...

'Students' VS 'Residents' - Bath is full to the brim

I'm running for SU President